Saturday, February 2, 2008

A Plethora of Pride and Prejudice

Someone commented on whether or not I had read this or that JA sequel etc. And here's the thing. I've read so many that they blend together. I was thinking that I might try to blog on each one. Although most I have read recently because persuing them has become a new hobby of mine. So, here's what I've read so far, complete with the Bonnet Rating System.


Mr. Darcy Takes A Wife (read 1/06) & Darcy and Elizabeth: Nights and Days at Pemberley (read 6/06 ) by Linda Berdoll. 5 Bonnets. Colin Firth must have been in that book somehow! Ok, they were fun and well written. I wasn't so sure of the Wickham plot in the 2nd one, but it didn't make me not like it. They were a bit steamy at times (notice how the second book lists nights first, not days?), so it was the closest thing to a Danielle Steel novel that I've read. These are also detailed enough and faithful to JA enough that they deserve 5 fully laced Bonnets.



Darcy's Story
by Janet Aylmer (read 3/07) 4 Bonnets. P&P told from Darcy's perspective. A well-done change of perspective. True to the characters that JA wrote. I read it twice, so it must have been good!




First Impressions by Marilyn Sachs (read 4/07) (Young Adult fiction): 3 Bonnets. A young girl reads P&P in class and finds that she relates to Mary, the unnoticed middle child, more than the other characters



Mr. Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange (read 6/07): 3 Bonnets, no lace. Another P&P take, again Darcy's side of the events told in diary format.






Fitzwilliam Darcy Trilogy--1. An Assembly Such As This, 2. Duty and Desire and 3. These Three Remain by Pamela Aiden (read 8-9/07): 3 Bonnets P&P told from Darcy's perspective. Good adaptations and true to the characters. Book 2 deals with the time where Darcy is away and has a character, Lady Sylvanie, that reminds me of Mary Crawford from Mansfield Park. They were entertaining.


Letters From Pemberley: The First Year by Jane Dawkins (read 12/07): 3 Bonnets. Told as letters from Elizabeth to Jane, we learn about the first year of marriage from Lizzy's perspective. Good, nothing too exceptional here. The author said she had fun and played on other Austen characters (using names from other books) and I didn't care for that, but that's just me...

Pemberley Shades by Dorothy Bonavia-Hunt. (BB read this in HS) 3 Bonnets: Ok, I don't really remember this one. But I think this one may have started my adaptation craving obsession, so it was a worthy one.


The Diary of Henry Fitzwilliam Darcy by Marjoirie Fasman. (BB read in college.) 3 Bonnets: My dad bought me this one when we presented at JASNA in '00. It was fun and again, fed the beginnings of my obsession. I should read it again...




Mr. Darcy's Daughters by Elizabeth Aston. 0 Bonnets. Ok, I haven't read the books in this series. But Darcy and Elizbeth would never name a daughter Octavia. I'm sorry, but no. I stand on that principal alone and will not read these books.

No comments: