Saturday, February 2, 2008

Modern Day Jane Austen

Books set in modern day time with a JA basis that I have read so far...

The Jane Austen Bookclub by Karen Flowler (read 9/04): 1 Bonnet. Needless to say I did not see the movie. And is there another one? I didn't seek it out.


Austenland
by Shannon Hale (read 12/07). 2 Bonnets. Modern day. Jane, trying to get rid of her Mr. Darcy obsession, goes to England to Pembrook Park, an estate that takes visitors back to Regency England. Ok, I have this nasty habit of reading the first several chapters of a book, skipping the middle and then reading the end of the book. I did that with this one. It didn't keep my attention, although I did go back and read the middle to the end. It was cute and I like Shannon Hale's other works.

Me and Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter (10/07): 0 Bonnets. This is the only one that I've read that I started and did not finish. I didn't like it at all. Plot: Modern day, woman who loves P&P goes on a trip to England, the tour guide is a modern matchmaker, but has hints of JA in her.)Apparently I am pretty hard on these types of books. I seem to give them low Bonnet scores.

No comments: