Thursday, February 12, 2009

Not Really Twitterpated (Thing 27)

Well, it took some time, but I dug out my Twitter login and password and checked out Twitter.com again. Having just read Frenzied Media's blog post about Ning, I have to add that I am just so not into Twitter. (I agree about Ning, btw!) Is it because I can (and would rather) just update my status on Facebook and not use Twitter? Do I really need another site to go to? Besides, the fail whale appeared twice while I played with my page. Do I really need to play with a page/service that is down frequently?

I also tried to read some of the articles about how libraries are using Twitter and I just can't get excited about it other than to write mini-book reviews. I find that use the most plausible and easiest to accomplish. David Lee King writes in his blog about 10 uses for Twitter in libraries. I'm sorry, I just can't buy it. One of the ways to use it is to check out possible applicants (possible colleagues) and see if they seem interesting. Really? I'm supposed to tell that by their tweet? Really? Hmm...Another reason was to stay on top of emerging technologies and the lastest and greatest trends. Ok, that seems plausible. BUT. I already get a bunch of emails from various sources and follow a bunch of sources that tell me this information in my Google Reader account. I don't need more RSS feeds to read!

To complete this thing, I decide to try to follow School Library Journal on Twitter and I am thinking I really don't need this! They publish at least 10 tweets a day. Seriously, folks! I don't have that kind of time. At least they are in my GR account so I don't have to make a special trip to Twitter. I'll peak at them when I can, but I just don't anticipate reading them frequently enough to make it matter. (Ok, and I already get the weekly email from SLJ, like I said above, do I need more?)

No comments: