Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Perfect Bride for Mr. Darcy

The Perfect Bride for Mr. Darcy by Mary Lydon Simonsen
Sourcebooks Landmark, 2011.  381 pgs.

First, let me take a breath and pause and be honest.  I, ahem, read this book sometime this winter/spring.  I'm not sure quite when it was.  Ahem.  It was sometime during the "Oh, sweet goodness, I keep falling asleep trying to read just one page before I go to bed." phase of the 1st trimester.  (That is, when I actually attempted reading and didn't just fall asleep at 7pm.)

So, the details are a bit fuzzy.  I'm sorry.  That's just how it is right now.  Either way, let's give this a go...

In The Perfect Bride for Mr. Darcy, Elizabeth makes friends with Cousin Anne De Burgh during her visit to Rosings.  Anne, being the clever one that she is, gets that Darcy and Elizabeth are 1. attracted to one another and 2. that something has happened to be Darcy out of spirits.  Insert a little matchmaking (Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match.  Find me a find.  Catch me a catch....) with Georgiana's wild imagination and a bit of cleverness, mixed with Bingley's older brothers and the book is a fun romp into another what might have been in Darcy and Elizabeth's courtship.

Overall, an enjoyable read.  There was a bit about Darcy helping out an old mistress of his get reestablished after returning from the continent, that felt a bit forced to me.  Like it was just thrown in there for the sake of another plotline, but overall it was some quality Austen Fanfic.

4 Bonnets.

No comments: