Thursday, December 16, 2010

Happy Day To You, Dear Jane!

Dear Jane,

Today (December 16) marks your 235th birthday.  Happy Birthday, Dear Jane!  Or, as I like to say to my friends and family, Happy Day To You!  (You don't mind if I liken you to friends and family, do you?)  I just wanted to make sure you know how much we're still enjoying your delightful wit and wry humor these days.  We know you didn't mean to be such a big deal, but you have this amazing ability to share day to day life regarding friends, family, & romance in ways that still speaks to so many of us today.  Well done, kind lady!  That's quite a talent that you've got there!  (Which must be why I've asked for yet another copy of P&P for Christmas this year.  It IS a different edition, I tell you!)

Granted, there have been a few set backs related to your works (Namely mashups--Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters.  The zombie fighting duo of Darcy and Elizabeth seems to work for most.) Know that it's done out of love.  (Well, some love, and a lot of money making schemes....but I think as someone who worried about money and their livelihood throughout most of your life, you can understand.)

Either way, I digress.  Today, I raise a copy of P&P in your honor.  I will recite to my now sleeping 2 year old the first few paragraphs of the book just as I did to her as she slept in my arms in the hospital when she was born.  Whether she likes it or not, she's a Janeite in the making.   Happy Thought, indeed!

To you, dear Jane, to you!
Bloggin' BB
Delightful graphic from Adriana Zardini (JASBRA) to celebrate the day and to celebrate the online party!
Should you want to participate in Jane Austen's Birthday party online, go to My Jane Autsten Bookclub and checkout the links of great bloggers!

1 comment:

TaraFly said...

So sweet that you are reading "Pride and Prejudice" to your daughter!
My 20-month-old son was watching YouTube fan-videos with me, and I told him to be prepared:
I was going to start dressing him in cravats and waistcoats, and women would go wild over him.

I don't think he believed me. ;)