Monday, September 6, 2010

Abigail Reynolds' Books (Everything Austen Challenge)


One of my Everything Austen II items was to figure out what the scoop was with Abigail Reynold's Pride and Prejudice variations series.  Why is this such a big deal?  First, Ms. Reynold's books are pretty good and I've enjoyed them but...Second, her books have been self published and now they have been picked up by Sourcebooks and republished.  Under new titles.  It's next to impossible to figure out if you've read one of the books or not.  (Ok, admittedly, reading the synopsis helps some but if you read P&P variations or continuations of any kind, you know quite well--they all run together after a certain point!) So, I took a dive into Ms. Reynold's blog and found her blog post detailing the books. (Posted after I added this mission to my EAII list.)  Here's the lowdown:

The Man Who Loved Pride & Prejudice = Pemberley by the Sea (I read this one 3/09.)

To Conquer Mr. Darcy (August 2010) = Impulse & Initiative (I read this one 3/09, too.)

Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy: The Last Man in the World = The Last Man in the World (I read this one 2/10.)

What Would Mr. Darcy Do? (Coming Spring 2011) = From Lambton to Longbourn (I read this one 1/10.) 

She also adds,  "For the sake of completeness, there is also the unpublished POD book The Rule of Reason = Alternative version of Impulse & Initiative which is only available at lulu.com. Without Reserve and By Force of Instinct will eventually be released with new titles, but I don't yet know what they are." 

I'd also posted a comment on the blog post where Ms. Reynolds details these changes, asking about changes to the books.  Realizing that sometimes (often?) publishers ask authors to revise when they are picked up by publishing houses rather than the self-publishes editions.  Here is her response:

"So far there are no major edits planned for Without Reserve or By Force of Instinct. From Lambton to Longbourn has a new beginning and may have a couple of added scenes depending on the publication schedule (i.e. I'd like to add more but they may not let me). It's scheduled to come out Spring 2011 under the title What Would Mr. Darcy Do?, but I'm hoping that it'll be bumped back a bit in favor of the new Pemberley Variation I'm writing, since I'd rather do a new release than a re-release. I'll keep you posted!"


So here's what I've got to add to my reading list (which, essentially, was the purpose of me adding this to my EAII list).  The jury is still out to see if I'll pick up the "new" versions to look for new bits/edits.

Mr. Darcy's Obsession (New October 2010)
Without Reserve
By Force of Instinct

1 comment:

Meredith said...

This is a very helpful post. I feel bad for Ms. Reynolds because so many readers blame her for the title changes and confusion, when it really isn't her fault. Thanks for helping spread the word to your readers!