Someone or other forwarded the link to this article to me…Are Librarians Totally Obsolete: 33 Reasons Libraries & Librarians Are Still Extremely Important. It’s worth a read because it’s not only about libraries and librarians, it’s about information and the way we use and find information today. The article points out:
- Not everything is on the internet
- There is a difference between online collections vs. internet or web sources
- It’s going to take a long time to digitize–everything
- The internet is pretty unorganized and more or less a free for all
- Contrary to popular belief, not everyone has internet access
We live in a time of information overload and most folks don’t even have a clue what’s out there to access. In any given day, I try to share one site or database to a staff member that might find what I’m suggesting useful. There’s so much more out there and it’s our job to know about resources–good, realiable, useful resources–to help folks find the kind of information they want.
And so the great search for information continues…One small search for the librarian, one small step in the abyss of information for the patron.