Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Mr. & Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy


Just finished one of my recent B&N purchases, Mr. & Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy: Two Shall Become One by Sharon Lathan. It was tolerable, I suppose. (Although, it did tempt me, obviously, I purchased it. :)) But after that point, it was still only tolerable. This was one of those book purchases that tempted me because of the size and feel of the book. It was the right size. The right cover sheen. But really? I'm thinking this one wasn't really worth my time. It was very, very Danielle Steel-esque. I felt the plot lacked some, D & E were suddenly ardantly in love and there was no separating them for the duration of the book (the first five months of their marriage). And once the romance started, the text was too ful of "beloved" this and "my love" that. YICK! At least for my taste, it was obnoxious after a certain point.

Plus, Lizzy rarely talked of Jane, wrote her letters. She was completely absorbed into the Darcy world. For me, that lack of correspondance with Jane made the book lacking in JA truth and purity. What is true of Lizzy's character is that she would have communicated with Jane and we don't see any of that in this book at all. She's none existance after their double wedding.

This book appears to be the first in a series by the same author. Really, though, I'm not sure any of the other books would be worth the time. There is so much other good fanfic out there...best use my reading time wisely. 2 Bonnets in the Bonnet Rating System.

No comments: