Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Plight of the Darcy Brothers

The Plight of the Darcy Brothers: A Tale of Siblings & Surprises (Pride & Prejudice Continues) by Marsha Altman. Sourcebook Landmark, 2009. 356p.

Ok, I have to get this off my chest first thing.  The cover just donesn't fit the book.  Yes, there is a duel at the end of the book.  But folks, there is not this group of onlookers.  Ok, I've said it.  I get really annoyed when a cover doesn't fit the book.  I'm done now.

This book is the second in a series (sequel to The Darcys and the Bingleys).
To read this book a Janeite must:  1. Put aside all seriousness about Dear Jane.  It's not a "realistic" tale in the least (if one can call P&P 'real' at all, but I digress), but more of a wild romp! 2. Prepare to laugh out loud.

As I've alluded, this book and its predecessor, are just plain old fun. All of the characters have a bit of wit and sarcasm about them--Bingley is constantly being made fun of for being Irish (which he claims he isn't, but that red hair?!) Caroline is suddenly happy in life, and borders on friendly.  And Darcy and Elizabeth--ok, their banter seems real.  Had we been privy to their actual banter, it may have been somewhat like theirs in this book.  The characters are funny in their own way and it's a delight.

So, up for some plot?  D&E set off for the Continent in another attempt to rescue a Bennet sister's reputation, this time Mary.  Their journey leads them to discover a deep dark Darcy family secret (no vampires here, please find go to another book if you are looking for them here) and meanwhile back at the ranch, I mean, Pemberley/Bingley's estate toddlers run amuk and every body's favorite villain arrives (enter Mr. Wickham).  Need I say more?

3 Bonnets.

No comments: