Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen


My earlier question about if it was the book or the baby was about this book, The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie James. I finally managed my way through it about 2 weeks ago. Here's the thing--I think it was a mix of the two. It's an ok read, nothing too terribly exciting in the way of Jane Austen fan fiction. Its pretense is that JA wrote a memoir that was discovered hidden in an attic wall and it tells the story of her long lost love. The novel dragged at the beginning and that was why I was struggling to get it read. I found that I got into it a bit more, skipped the middle and went right for the ending where the novel redeemed itself a bit. For me the voice of dear JA didn't quite work. I can't quite pinpoint why that was--was it that I was mad that she let the guy go at the end even though it broke her heart? Was it that I just struggled with the concept? I don't know. Although, I did find a great quote from the novel, so perhaps it was worthwhile after all?

Quote from the novel: " We can always find a reason to put off that which we aspire to do, or fear to do, until tomorrow, next week, next month, next year--until, in the end, we never accomplish anything at all." (pg. 127 Syrie James.

3 Bonnets!

No comments: