Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Jane Austen Ruined My Life

Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Pattillo
Guideposts, 2009. 270 pgs.

Here's yet another piece of JA Fanfic that I read during that "I just lost 3 months of my life" timespan.  Hmmm....Here goes:

Emma Douglas' life is falling apart:  her husband cheated on her and then helped create a scandal at the college where she taught.  Needless to say, her tenure track, let alone is position, at the college is gone.  She escapes to Britain to find some inspiration in Austen's England and to find some of Austen's missing letters.  A recluse named Mrs. Parrot claims to have some of these letters and sets Emma on a quest to find more of them.  Add an old friend and love interest, Adam, to Emma's time in England and she truly starts to believe that Jane Austen really did ruin her life.

This book fell sort for me.  I was kind of bored with it and I can't quite put my finger on it.  This is the author's earlier book (I'd already read Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart) and I think that might be the problem.  Or rather that the two books are very similar, not connected per se, but similar in terms of the secret society of ladies protecting Jane's letters and/or manuscripts.  I think that the plots blended together too much for me and I was hoping for more.  Had I read this novel first, I think I would have liked it more, but then would have not like Mr. Darcy as much.  At least that's my hunch.  It also might be that the main character, Emma, was a bit of a whiner, complainer, "whoa is me" type and it just got downright old for me.  I simply wanted something new and fresh.

2 Bonnets.

No comments: